Root Capital extends finance to businesses under-served by commercial lenders. To meet the particular needs of each borrower, we provide a variety of loan products as well as financial advisory services.
Short-term trade credit loans
- Terms up to 18 months
- Oriented around the harvest or production cycle
- Used to finance the purchase and sale of agricultural or craft products
Long-term fixed-asset loans
- Terms up to five years
- Used to invest in processing equipment, infastructure, or general operations.
Root Capital practices cashflow-based lending—for short-term trade credit loans, we can lend against your purchase orders without requiring high levels of physical asset collateral. We offer loans in dollars, euros, pounds sterling, or in local currency. Specific loan terms are available upon request.
Loan Application Process
The Root Capital process provides loan approvals and disbursements within 30-45 days after receipt of a completed loan application.
- 1. Loan Officer Visit
- After a preliminary determination is made, we will arrange for a representative of Root Capital to visit your business. In order to ensure the timely processing of your application, it is important to contact us well in advance of when the funds are required so that we can schedule the loan officer visit.
- 2. Loan Application
- Either before or after the loan officer visit, your business will be asked to complete an application that includes financial and descriptive information.
- 3. Evaluation & Approval
- Once the complete application is received, Root Capital will take four to six weeks to review, evaluate, and make a determination on the loan. The speed of the process will depend on the quality of information provided to Root Capital and your ability to respond to follow-up questions and requests in a timely manner.
- 4. Documentation & Disbursement
- Once your loan is approved, you will receive loan agreements to sign and return to Root Capital. This process generally takes less than one week. Once we receive the complete documentation, your loan will be disbursed promptly.
Who Can Apply
Root Capital lends to producer associations and private enterprises that are building sustainable livelihoods in the following sectors: agriculture, timber and non-timber forest products, fisheries, handcrafts, and apparel. Get started!